I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with different fall flavors that I am drawn to. While dreaming of the taste of warm apple cider, I knew I needed to make it into something more substantial.
Fall is a special season where fruits and vegetables turn into great dishes. Families go to the patch or farm in search of the perfect pumpkin and pick up pies and warm donuts on the way out. This recipe combines the excitement of fall festivities as well as the flavors we all love.
I present to you, my pecan crusted chicken breasts stuffed with warm baked apples in a pumpkin butter and apple cider glaze.
Baked Cinnamon Apples
- 3 Apples (I used Fuji, Gala, and Red Delicious)
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 shake of salt
- 1 squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Slice all three apples of your choice (I like to use different ones to get a burst of different flavors- however, red apples taste the best!)
- Put into a large bowl and mix well with cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice.
- Bake in large dish at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes by themselves.
Pecan Crusted Chicken
- 1 1/3 lb chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Apple Cider
- 3 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Panko crumbs
- In a large bowl, mix apple cider and pumpkin butter together until combined.
- Cut chicken breasts into small pocket-like shapes by creating one opening to leave room for the apples.
- Dip each breast pocket into the apple cider pumpkin butter mixture and set aside to allow it to soak into the chicken.
- Combine panko crumbs and chopped pecans in another bowl.
- Give each breast pocket a second dip in the liquid mixture to allow the solids to stick.
- Place each breast into the crumb and pecan mix and move it around until completely covered on the outside.
- Place chicken breasts on the other side of the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the cider and pumpkin mixture over the apples and chicken.
9. Bake apples and chicken separately at 375 degrees for 10 minutes to hold the flavors in each part.
10. Carefully place a few apple wedges in each chicken pouch without breaking through the other end of the breast. (You will have left over apple wedges)
11. Place baking dish back in the oven at 400 degrees and cook for another 20-25 minutes until the chicken looks ready.
12. It’s time to indulge! Put your desired amount of chicken on a plate and place apple slices on top of the chicken or on the side. Take some of the sauce from the bottom of the dish and drizzle it over the top of your meal for more flavor!
This makes a great dinner dish and can also work for a warm lunch the next day! Depending on how hungry you are or who you are cooking for, this can make about 3 servings.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Feel free to make your own additions or changes to this dish depending on your palate’s preferences. Added bonus – it makes your house smell like a dream!