My avocado toast obsession began sometime over the last summer. I often wonder when avocadoes began to become to popular…(where the heck were they when I was a child)? But anyway, today people are using avocadoes like they are potatoes. These green fruits are ingredients in breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and even desserts!
Almost as popular as guacamole, avocado toast has been known as the food of the blogger chick and health guru. Being less basic, I turned by avo toast into a breakfast sandwich to be enjoyed by all!
- 2 slices whole grain gluten free bread
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- a handful of fresh spinach
- 1 sunny side up egg
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Sunny Paris seasoning: purple shallots, chives, green peppercorn, basil, tarragon, chevril, bay leaf, dill weed
- ground pepper
- goat cheese
- Toast the slices of bread for about 3 minutes to make sure it is crunchy enough to hold all of the ingredients. (There’s nothing worse than soggy bread)!
- So obviously the hardest part of this easy recipe is getting the perfect sunny side up egg… First, I use just enough coconut oil to coat the bottom of the frying pan.
- Set the burner to medium heat and break the egg over the pan. I use a smaller pan to keep the egg in place, but if you don’t have one- use a spatula to keep your egg in place before it runs to the other side of the pan!
- You may have to turn the heat down so the egg does not cook through. The trick here is to make sure the whites of the egg are cooked through but the yolk is still in liquid form.
- Put both toasted pieces of bread on a plate and crumble your desired amount of goat cheese over one of the sides. Place the egg over this slice so that the goat cheese heats up and sticks to the bread instead of falling out with each bite.
- Keep skillet on medium heat and add more coconut oil if needed.
- Place chopped garlic, fresh spinach, and halved cherry tomatoes in pan. I usually keep the garlic with the spinach and separate the tomatoes since I put them on different sides of the sandwich to start.
- Make sure the spinach is sautéed to your liking and place it over the egg with a bit of garlic.
- For some reason, the taste of warm tomatoes is much more appetizing than just eating them fresh (maybe it is just me and my extravagant taste buds)! I usually wait until they are slightly starting to brown.
- Slice the avocado half and place it on the other piece of toast. Ground some fresh pepper on top and add the tomatoes.
This recipe is great because not only is it gluten free, but also vegetarian. It can also be enjoyed without the egg and goat cheese for a vegan option.
Right now, I am headed to an eight hour meeting, so this was the perfect and most fulfilling breakfast option to start the day on the right foot. There is nothing worse than being hangry in a room full of people- yikes!